Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Age of Empires II MAC with PC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dapork, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Can someone tell me how to play a game with a PC from my Mac via ethernet? or tell me where I can find out? Thanks

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    You mean play it on the mac but control it over the network from a pc? You might be able to use VNC for that but I'm not sure if VNC works in a game environment.

3. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a mac laptop and my friend has a PC laptop. We hooked up our computers yesterday, with an ethernet cable, thinking it would be simple to play a game against each other. My only option aside from Gameranger was PCP/IP, while he had a few. We each took turns trying to host a game while the other typed in the host's ip address in hope of joining the game. Nothing worked.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    does the game support cross platform play? Some do not... If it does, are you on the same version? If not, then some games won't connect.

Sounds simple, but sometimes the simple ones are overlooked.

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well game versions advance at different rates between mac and PC right? And I don't know if they allow cross-platform play. The book I received with the game only says how to play with another mac, so I guess that would hint at no.... oh well. I'd imagine that making them work would be pretty simple though... same game for christ sake. Blizzard games let PCs and macs play, but Gameranger is apparently only for mac.

6. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    You can't hook two computers up directly with a regular ethernet cable. It would work on the mac since they can sense the connection or something (I think) but not on the pc.

If you got a crossover cable, did the same thing but specified a network address and used tcp/ip it would work.

7. SpocKirk

SpocKirk Forum Moderator and Donator

Market Rating:
    or use a hub.

8. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    That's odd though, since you can use an ethernet cable to transfer files or share internet between mac and pc... it's just really complicated. But I remember having the info on how to do it. Otherwise I guess a crossover cable could be the answer. But setting up a network address? How the heck is that done with a mac? I remember my friend trying all that on his comp, but all I know is that my comp has an ip address. Everywhere it says that Age of Emps only requires connecting to the creator's ip address, but are we supposed to set up a particular address for it? BTW, thanks for the help you guys.

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you have two computers on a network they should each have an IP address already. You can just connect to them that way once you figure out the IP. If you're on the same network you'll be able to connect with the internal addresses but if not you'll have to use the external addresses.

If you're just using a crossover cable you'll have to manually specify the IP addresses. You can do that on the mac by going into the network control panel and same way on a PC. Then just connect to the specified address.

Hitometer: 53,936,665 since 1995