Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

age of conan not doing well

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jakeman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    so i read...

http://www.mmocrunch.com/2008/08/28/age-of-conan-a-post-mortem-analysis/

There was a lot of hype surrounding this game but apparently it's not doing well. I know lots of WoW players who left for AoC when it came out, but they are all back playing WoW now. I never played it, but after reading lots of feedback about the game it sounds similar to Shadowbane where the game runs like crap, is buggy, gets hacked a lot, and doesn't have good content.

I like to call this the sandbox problem. Speaking strictly about content, many MMO makers think they can make a glorified online sandbox without so much as a jungle gym and they expect people will pay for it and make their own fun. That just doesn't work. You need good content to attract people before they start making their own fun, kind of like hiring a band to play at a club. Player made content is an end not a means.

Then of course you have other mistakes like performance problems, bugs, hacks, server issues, etc. That's like a poorly constructed sandbox.

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Warhammer Online will follow in AoC's footsteps. WoW is the undisupted king right now and probably the only thing that will dethrone it is WoW 2.

3. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I'm not so sure this statement is correct. I've talked to a multitude of people that say Warhammer is a lot of fun. Will it dethrone WoW? Of course not. I do think it's on par to be a well made game that's a viable alternative. Apparently the PvP (or RvR as they call it) is much different than WoW's and ten times more fun. You may see a drop in Warcraft's PvP base. Another great alternative for the more casual player is the armor. You don't have to wait for the level max and grind countless days of boring raids to achieve "the cool look." The armor becomes pretty badass looking around level 15.

Anyone that left WoW for AoC didn't do much research. The game had huge problems reported by players since beta. The system specs are pretty high which removes a large portion of the player base from the start. I think AoC is a shoddily made game that they tried to rush into the marketplace to quickly. This really sucks considering I'm a huge Conan fan.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I don't like the idea of PvP gameplay in a MMO or RPG format. I think FPS and RTS formats work much better for that.

5. Calendryll

Calendryll MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I agree with FPS being better but I've never been a huge fan of the RTS games (excluding Starcraft). Anyways, I haven't actually played Warhammer yet so I'm going to withhold any further judgments until I can see it for myself.

The problem is WoW's an amazing game even with its faults. It's going to be tough for anybody to put out anything better.

6. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    The same thing happened when people left LOTRO for AoC. After about a month everyone was back to playing LOTRO. Unfortunately for LOTRO they have allowed for an extreme lull in content preceding the expansion, Mines of Moria, so the players that left are now eagerly awaiting Warhammer.

If Mines of Moria is a total bust, you may be seeing me back in the World of Warcraft. Not because I want to, but because LOTRO stands at a crossroads where it can either take off or completely die.

Of course this all depends on if I can make enough money in this bullcrap economy.

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I don't know if you guys were geeky enough to play Rifts when you were kids, but if the content was managed properly, I think it would make a fantastic MMO. I'd love to see someone try anyway.

I had a friend who left WoW a little bit to play Warhammer, but he didn't like how PvP seemed to be the main focus of the game -- he said it was a good game, though, just basically WoW with different characters. He's back playing WoW and being bored with it and contemplating just not gaming for awhile (said there weren't any games in the pipeline he saw that appealed to him).

I haven't been doing much gaming lately. And I don't really get very excited to hear about new games coming out much either.

Hitometer: 53,946,866 since 1995