Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

Advice for a barbarian NM mode?

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jedsia, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Sunday I was playing my open Amazon in single mode Act 2 NM and doing ok, not dying very often, but going through tons of valkryies. But on the other hand, my poor hubby on the computer next to me was dying and dying and dying. He walked out into the Rocky Waste and got overrun by three Uniques at once. And every where he turned he was up against overwhleming odds. He got so frustrated with the game it was no longer fun anymore. And by the time he had gotten to the big bug in the sand maggot lair, i was already whacking Duriel. But that lair was insane. You couldn't even see the floor there were so many bugs. He would have been there all night killing bugs if he hadn't leapt to the chest and got the hell out of there with the staff. I mean, insane, how can they except anyone to deal with that in single player mode. Has anyone else had these problems? I'm doing ok because I have mass destruction with strafe and immolation arrow, but for a barbarian it seems almost impossible to play alone. Any of your barbarians got any insight to easing things up before hubby throws the computer out the window? He's like 32, uses two war swords (both add barabrian skill points, one is the unique war sword and the other a good rare I found with my Axe barbarian). He utilizes his warcries almost religiously and takes things slow, but still seems to be up against overwhelming odds.

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

2. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't die. [​IMG]

------------------
    For the first time, in a long time, my life was perfect. Then I woke up.

3. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Seriously, have lots of potions and if you enter an area that could produce death, open a TP immediately, then you can make a fast getaway and heal up in town. Make sure you open the TP before you need it otherwise you may find it difficult to open one and go through it if you are clicking frantically. That's about all I can offer.

------------------

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Oh, I have found the same problem with my Necro. My skeletal minions (hand to hand) which I have 7 of (waste of points) die when something breathes on them. My mages do ok, but I rely mostly on my iron golemn and revive minions. But I'll tell you it get get damn near impossible sometimes. Have faith.

------------------

5. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hard to offer advise based on the little info you give, but it sounds a little bit like he might not have enough hit recovery. Hit recovery modifiers stack, and the more the merrier. Act 2 can be very problemattic for a barb without good hit recovery, esp. spear cats who can stun lock you to death before you even get close.

You didn't mention whether he was using whirlwind as his main attack, but as soon as his equipment allows it (i.e. boost mana to over 70 at least - mana and life steal at least 5% each) he should start to learn to use WW properly. Since he uses swords, he should consider doing WW with sword / shield, or using a single sword for the 2-handed damage.

The fundamnetal solution for struggles in early nightmare diff is to play some more normal act 4 and get additional levels and some better equipment.

6. darkill-usion

darkill-usion Peasant

Market Rating:
    i just Wirl Wind all there asses. I had a problem dying before but now with ww i have no problem at all. Another good thing is mastery's.

7. olon97

olon97 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Life and mana steal are by far preferrable to potions, although I don't doubt the value of the occasional full rejuv.

The problem is leap attack, whirlwind, and concentration all prevent you from using potions while using the skill. That makes stun and bash a little more attractive for secondary attacks.

Using whirlwind on the fringes with good steal %s and then backing up to quaff the occasional potion if necessary is pretty damn effective. If your whirlwind stops in the middle of a pack, and you are out of mana (and you don't instantly die), you should instantly be using stun or bash while quaffing a potion, preparing to WW or leap out as soon as mana allows.

8. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    My brother's Barbarian was good with Wirlwind in situations like that. But if you stop in the middle of a bunch of guys then you are screwed. That big lair scenario is when I love using my blood golem with iron maiden (Deadly combination). Sometimes I throw in some amplify with corpse.

------------------
    lamo mac boy

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Put points in to strength and dex in normal and nightmare, but by the time you reach hell diff start putting quite a couple of levels worth of points into vitality.
    Also, don't use a crappy sigon's shield. Get a triple perfect diamond gothic shield, or until you get natural resistances.
    AND USE WW.

------------------
    [​IMG]
    Wait a minute! This is grass! We've been eating grass!

10. Jedsia

Jedsia Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hehe, thanks for all the pointers. He's starting to use WW, at first he wasn't using it right so he thought it was a waste. But he got it figured out. He's mastered in swords only and has a pretty good layout. His first barbarian was an experiement. This one is much better laid out.
    You guys gave me some good pointers for myself too. My amazon is kicking butt in Act 3, she just turned 36. My valkryie is a 5, doesn't last long, but i want to spend some of my valuable points on the other passive skills and strafe. Boy it gets hard to choose when you get higher up [​IMG] I do tend to put up a TP pretty much anywhere I go that's far from a waypoint. And I've been lucky, only died twice yesterday. Duriel killed me once and that Summoner got me too when I couldn't even see or hit him (even with strafe or guided arrow).

------------------
    "A mage's soul is forged in the crucible of the magic"

Hitometer: 53,555,191 since 1995