Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

act3 or merc or act2 merc

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by dapork, Aug 24, 2001.

1. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    you guys prolly know how my druid works and his condition, so u could help me in deciding this. should i use my nm act3 lvl 59 cold merc, or should i get a new lvl 59 merc in act2. if so defensive or offensive. most people prolly say it depends on i how i work, but suck at deciding, and my last post should be enough info for someone to help me decide...

2. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    I dont use Mercs. I think you should keep your exiting one though, because as a druid you need help once your minions start to suck- best one is a merc that freezes people

3. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Warning: no offense intended

well, I have very limited knowledge of your playing style, but it appeared to me that you had a tendency to run headlong into crowds regardless of whther or not you could actually handle them. IF that is your normal playing style and not just some abberent behavior that I noticed during like two or three games, I would suggest a Holy freeze merc.

Downside of a HF merc is they don't get the extra resists that one you get in normal does.

If you take things a little slower, I see no reason why you shouldn't go with an A3 cold mage. I really enjoy all of mine.

good luck.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    get an act 3 merc (the freezing kind) and give him a sword with at least 3 sockets filled with perfect emeralds. the poison damage is exponential and translates into cold damage on the cold merc. good stuff.

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    wait i don't get it, i keep a sword on my act3 merc but he never uses it, he just shoots ice all the time, he doesn't melee... so if i give him a sword with p emeralds what's the use? unless i missed something

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    jake's point was that the poison damage from the sword is supposed to transfer onto the ice bolts the a3 merc casts.
    I have never heard this before, if it is accurate you can be pretty certain that it is a bug. :)

I just go shopping for a sword with resists on it for my coldmages.

7. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I tried upgrading my Merc from 2 to 3 in the flayer jungle in Single Player. Ecch. Bad news. I quickly went back to my A2 merc that's Combat, rather than Offensive or Defensive, with a good spear. Does some good damage but I don't have good enough armor for him...

8. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    but if its' combat, wouldn't an act5 merc be better for damage?

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    I've only done the first quest in A5, so I can't hire mercs yet. :)

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    looks like poison doesn't stack anymore.

11. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    damn i was excited about that my merc woulda been awesome... but o well im still not sure what i should use between my lvl 59 act3 cold merc, and an act2 hell 59 merc... from all of u it seems equal

12. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    anyone got an idea of what i should equip my merc with? he's using a 3 perf topaz full plate (for the mf), this casque, a grim shield, and that ali baba unique sword (socketed)

13. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    mf on a merc only works if he does the final blow, but your mf and his are added up to calculate his total. so you could potentially get a pretty stupid amount built up and get some pretty nice drops if he lives long enough to kill something.

Hitometer: 53,585,178 since 1995