Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

achievements

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, May 8, 2009.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    A guy posts in trade that he is doing the [Bad Example] achievement. I tell him that activity is stupid and boring so why would anyone do it? He says it's really easy to do so why wouldn't anyone do it? I tell him that jumping 1000 times is really easy so he should do that. He says jumping is stupid and boring so why would anyone do it?

Then some random person messages me to ask how many points the jumping achievement is worth.

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Stupid and boring are subjective terms. Soloing old world raid content may be viewed by some as stupid and boring, yet you enjoy it just fine. A good debater knows not to treat as fact something that is his opinion.

As for myself, Bad Example is one of many achievements that lead to a 310% speed flying mount. Whether or not that makes it worth doing is again subjective. For me, it does.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I agree. But I don't see any facts / opinions being confused here. It is clearly all opinion.

The significance of this story is in the curious show of interest in stupid and boring activities. [Bad Example] is open to subjection, but my invented activity of jumping 1000 times was carefully engineered to be universally stupid and boring, yet people showed interest in its achievement. I personally find that disturbing. I thought others would at least find it curious or amusing.

4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Well I've long ago stopped being surprised by the idiocy of some people, so I guess I just took that part as a matter of course.

5. OsIriS

OsIriS Peasant

Market Rating:
    I never explicitly went out of my way to do any achievements. If I got them while doing something I wanted to do, then cool. But I'm not going to fly around all over the place collecting crap for no reason. (I also haven't played the game since February, so I have no dog in this fight any more).

6. Wiezzen

Wiezzen Peasant

Market Rating:
    In my opinion, achievements ruined alot of things in WoW. Need an example? Just look at Arathi Basin, you'll see like 5 people rushing the Stables flag so they can get the 50 flag captures achievement. Apparently, clicking a flag 50 times makes you pro?

Now, I'm not completely against achievements, but Blizzard put it in the wrong areas of the game. In my opinion, achievements should have been completely left out of PvP and Raids/Instances. World Achievements I'm completely fine with, I'll admit that I've enjoyed the achievements from the seasonal events, kind of just gives you that little extra.

7. lost

lost Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hahahaha...

Hitometer: 53,857,405 since 1995