Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

About Throwing weapons

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by charlybrown, Mar 22, 2001.

1. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    When a barbarian is equipped with throwing weapons, say 2 harpoons, will throwing mastery affect the dmg and AR when he's fenzying or will spear mastery affects it? I'm only talking about melee attack with throwing weapons.

2. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    I would think Spear Mastery. Havent tried it thou, but would really believe so.

3. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    i've never tried a barb with throwing mastery, nor have I ever seen one.

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Throwing mastery with a Carrion Song :D.

--Haite

5. Hannibal~MAC

Hannibal~MAC Peasant

Market Rating:
    DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!! MY AVATAR STILL IS NOT THERE!!!!

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    what I have heard

I do not know for certain, but have heard from a person on D2net who specializes in throwing barbs that if you plan on using spear class weapons for throwing and melee then you will have to specialize in both throwing and spear mastery (ie., throwing mastery doesn't effect melee attacks with spears).

However, this person also claims that there is a glitch with thrown axes. They do get the throwing mastery bonus for melee attacks.

I cannot remember who the person was or find the threads on the D2.net forums, so I would take the above comments with a grain of salt. maybe even test it out for yourself.

7. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    I will

Well I'm planning at a frenzian thrower for the expansion. there should be good dmg war harpoons I guess. if spear mastery is needed, I'll just switch with a nice lance. Since lance speed will be reflected on WW it's better to frenzy first.

So what do you think of my plan? :cool:

8. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    You would have to set up your equipment hotkeys so that one had dual weapons (to use frenzy) and plenty of + skills items to get the maximum duration from the frenzy speed boost, then make the second hotkey have the lance and stuff.

The benefit from frenzy is mostly running speed, it says it also effects attack speed, but I haven't seen it with my sword barb. I can get up to 10 points in frenzy from + skills items and don't see a noticable change. Certainly not the +100% you are supposed to see.

I suppose it is possible that there is a cap as to how fast you can attack and I have reached it with this particular char.

It will be very disappointing from a game balance standpoint if this is indeed a way around the proposed adjustment to WW, since the way around the change is really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Especially if blizz gives us a seperate place to stash the second set of equipment. :(

9. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    very disappointing

Had a few moments to kill, so I hopped online to check things out.

I'm sorry to say that your plan will probably work. Frenzy does indeed give you a speed boost as well. I was already attacking rather quickly, so I just didn't notice the speed increase. Bought a couple slow speed weapons and tried it out. Works. :(

Hope Blizz figures this out and comes up with a solution (like frenzy bonus only appling when 2 weapons are equipped). They talk a good talk about balance, but leave far too many loopholes for my comfort.

Take for instance their conversations regarding the possibility of making certain areas require multiple types of chars to get through in order to force more multiplayer parties (along with giving more exp to partied members). Then they turn around and make hirelings more useable, customizeable even. Well there's your multiple type of char right there. If an area sort of requires a zon to get through and you are using a pally, give your hireling a bow and you are all set (That's not to say that a hireling will be as good as a zon, don't know how customizeable they are going to be, just speculation on rumours).

I suppose I could send a message off to them, but I'll probably be promptly ignored. :(

10. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    No need to bother

Well there is really no rush at knowing if my strat will work or not. and 100% sure they wono't answer you because the game is not out yet...so...Ah and btw, from the new update of London Blizz exposition. Bill Roper said they have altered frenzy as well. Probably enhancing I think, because it's not a quite popular skill.

11. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    i'm gonna leave my current sword shield barb at level 63 so when the exp comes out I'll have room to level and distribute appropriately according to what they adjusted. :nod:

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    My lancer's staying at 60, Necro at 44, and I don't think I'll take my Bowazon higher then ~40. That way I have plenty of leeway on the latter characters, and enough for comfort on the Barb.

--Haite

13. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Re: No need to bother

sigh.

I'm not really concerned about "your strategy" per se.
    I _am_ concerned about game balance (as I have stated over and over and over and....), I'm beginning to think I might be the only person who does care though. I only checked out your proposal to see if it was a viable way to break Blizz's "fix" for lance twirlers.

Writing to Blizz was a sarcastic comment. When I am not concerned with game balance I am usually a cynical, sarcastic son of a b*tch. Think Denis Leary without the smoking or exceedingly foul language and you are pretty close.

altering Frenzy - freaking great. not only do they keep the loophole, but they improve one of the components. <smacks forehead>

I'm aware that all of this is speculation, and that a lot of people prolly think I'm getting "worked up" over nothing. Hey, that's fine. I only get "worked up" this way when I have found something I really enjoy and want to see it become better, not worse.

Even though it may appear that I am only bitching and moaning about how blizz is going to screw up, you can bet money I'm going to be pre-ordering my copy and having the darned thing overnighted. so I can pull an all-nighter with everyone else on the over lagged servers. (yes, I read the part about improving server performance. I'll believe it when I see it).

I have no idea what I am going to do with my chars. Onisama (my axe barb) is at level 81, no fixing him if they seriously mangle skills, though I might rebuild if they improve the status of axes. Oni (sword barb) is lvl 78, I'll Probably rebuild him, especially if they give me some nice non-european looking body armour. A kimono would be really nice. I've got a level 50 something polearm barb I will probably use to go rare fishing in the harder difficulties. My pally's and Sorc are all around lvl 30, so there's no real conversion problem there. Starting a Spearchucker to take advantage of magical throwing weapons (though I steadfastly refuse to use a lance). The release is still a year and a half away though, plenty of time to change things around. ;)

Hitometer: 53,597,011 since 1995