Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

About reputation

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jakeman, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Currently I have it setup so that everyone has 1 point of reputation power, meaning 1 point is given or taken away for every rating given regardless of the person. I want to keep everyone even.

Only "MSC Members" (and admins and mods) can give reputation. Since users can only be made "MSC Members" by me promoting them, people can't just register on the forums and start knocking down everyone's rep.

You also must have at least 0 reputation for your ratings to count on other users. So if you go trolling right from the start and you drop into the negatives then your ratings won't count on other users until you get some positive rep. This is another safeguard.

On a related note, I appreciate everyone's feedback on the new site, but let's keep the feedback constructive please. If you don't like something, tell me why. Empty complaints are troll bait and have been getting -1 from me. For example:

this site sucks = -1
    this site sucks because I don't like the images and color scheme = +1

Elbereth likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Change to reputation settings:

1. Because of the current level of activity on the forums, I have disabled the "user spread" setting for now, meaning you don't have to hit other users before returning to the same user. For example, you can rate two of my posts in a row without having to rate some one else in between the two.
    2. Decreased the maximum number of ratings you can give per day from 10 to 5.
    3. Made it so only I can give negative reputation. Moderators and MSC Members can only give positive reputation now. This is designed to reduce drama... if you complain to anyone about knocking you down a notch, it will be to me.

I will only give negative reputation in extreme cases. I want the reputation system to act as positive reinforcement, not punishment; in the absense of negative ratings, a reputation of 0 doesn't mean you are bad, it just means you haven't earned your reputation yet. To that end, I have removed existing negative ratings since no posts so far have been extreme.

If you have any thoughts I would love to hear them. Only rate new posts that you feel are especially deserving of positive reputation.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
    Kathleen likes this.
  3. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Test to see if I can rate myself.

Edit -aw :(

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    :suspect:

5. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    I love the new Reputation system as appose to the old Karma system.

6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    While things have changed a bit in newer versions, it's the same system. In some prerelease versions of vB3 it was called Karma. Now it's called Reputation. I also changed it a bit on this site so it shows a reputation number instead of a corresponding title and colored bar.

7. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    I still don't really think that we need a reputation system primarily because we are such a small, generally tight knit group, but being as you do want rep I think it is set up in an effective way. Minimal drama and such. For that I give you +1 :D

8. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Reputation for all intents and purposes is the same as registration date or postcount. It's just an "I'm better than you with my gigantic penis" thing.

9. BaleFire

BaleFire MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Except that your penis grows and shrinks based on the quality of your posts.

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Kat has more reputation than everyone. :eek: :uhh:

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Probably for all her info threads in all the guide forums. Plus she's a woman.

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    ...in reference to penis size

kat has a big reputation and therefore...

oh just ignore me, I'm being dirty. :o

13. Kathleen

Kathleen MSC Footman

Market Rating:
  14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    curious... why am I a forum member and not an MSC member? Was I demoted or something due to an inactive period?

Edit: Crud... I have a "0" rep? Oh, pooh....

Kathleen likes this.
  15. Kaeric

Kaeric Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yea, I have 0 as well... :cry:

Kathleen likes this.
  16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    When I upgraded the site I had to redo the groups. When populating the MSC Member group, I added all users who had visited the site in the last 30 days. If you went inactive for longer than that then you wouldn't have been moved to the MSC Member group.

Are you planning on playing WoW? Want me to add you?

And don't feel bad if you have 0 reputation. There is no negative reputation, so 0 rep isn't bad, it just means you haven't made any significant contributions since the site upgrade. It's meant to act as positive reinforcement.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Jake.... I will try to play with the gang as best I can, but I fear my wife is not a fan of games, especially the ones that I pay for the game and must continue to pay monthly :(

I was just curious about the forum member thing... that's fine by me. If I join in on the WoW experience, then you can update me.

Yippeee... I now have a Rep of 1!! (I was just goofing on the "0" comment...)

18. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Done.

There isn't much difference between Forum Member and MSC Member, except that you get the green title, your characters show on the main member list, and you get to use the reputation system. Forum access is the same.

Hitometer: 53,595,135 since 1995