Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

A thought on Expansion character conversion.

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Jakeman, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Quote from the D2 LOD FAQ:
    "
    How will character conversion work?
    A character will be created either as a normal Diablo II character or as a Diablo II: Lord of Destruction character. Existing Diablo II characters can also be converted into Diablo II: Lord of Destruction characters. It is important to remember that Diablo II: Lord of Destruction characters cannot play in games or trade with Diablo II characters. Finally, Diablo II players will not be able to play with the new character classes or use any of the new items or abilities associated with Diablo II: Lord of Destruction unless they own the expansion set and use expansion characters.
    "

After reading this I'm getting the impression that once the expansion comes out you can't create a regular Diablo 2 character, mule some old school items onto him, and then convert him for the purposes of transferring regular Diablo 2 items to the expansion. Like if you have a bunch of good stuff you got on a character that was created AFTER the expansion came out and you want to move that good stuff to one of your expansion characters. I'm thinking you won't be able to do this.

So I'm thinking that it may be a good idea to create a couple extra dummy characters before the expansion comes out just so you have a mule that is capable of making the transition in case you want to transfer items over.

Granted, Blizzard may not work this the way I'm thinking they are. For example, they might make it so once the expansion comes out and you log onto bnet you are forced to decide the fate of ALL you existing characters right then and there, w/o the option to do it later. We'll just have to wait and see. But I thought I would share my thoughts on this with you guys. :)

2. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    I understand it this way.

When you create you get a check box for hardcore and another for expansion.

Does that states clearly what I mean?

3. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    What Jake is trying to say in that mess of grammar butchering, is that he thinks you won't be able to convert standard Diablo 2 characters to expansion Diablo 2 characters after a set date, i.e. a week after the expansion is released you are no longer aloud to convert. Hence if you get good items in standard Diablo 2 and want to pass it to your expansion characters, you won't be able to after a set time. By the way Jake, I've already figured a way that your idea can't work, what if someone buys the expansion a year after it comes out? I'm certain that a standard Diablo 2 character can be upgraded at any time one wishes.

By the way, here are MY thoughts on converting, the whole process worries me, it sounds like it would be easily exploitable to dupe items, for example, here's a method I just thought up based on a current duping method:

Get two computers, one on a 56k connection, the other doesn't matter. Have the 56k computer conenct to battle.net and log into your existing account, have the other create a new one. Have the 56k computer select a normal Diablo 2 character with a valuable item that would be worth duping, and prepare to convert him to the expansion. Have the other computer create a new character on the new account, have him be the same class and exact same name as the normal Diablo 2 character, and set him to expansion be an character. Click convert on the first computer, while simultaneously clicking create on the second, then unplug the 56k computer as quick as possible. Somehow this would confuse battle.net, making it create the new character while leaving the previous unconverted. Drop the items on the computer which is still connected in a game of your choice, then log off, delete that character and return with another to pick up the items. Repeat to your heart's content.

This wouldn't actually work because there would be two of the same named character on a realm, but it gives an example of some similiar method that might be used to exploit the conversion process.

--Haite

4. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Regardless of how it will work, I will be converting all my characters over right away. I am going to end up shelling out much more money than I should to get the expansion, but will do it anyway.

I am not a ladder player and don't have the same feelings that a lot of people have had about converting characters to the expansion and being able to level like crazy right away. Let em. I won't effect me!

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hmmm, I thought I saw somewhere that you will be able to create "classic" characters at any time, or at least for a while after the expansion comes out. Not sure where I saw that, and of course I could be wrong. Like charlybrown said, I think there will be a checkbox that will let you choose between normal and expansion when you are making a character.

6. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    I had originally thought the same (that you could continue to make and play D2 chars) and found the idea to be very distressing. After reading and rereading Jake's post, I can see where he got the interperetation he did. That would be a better solution, still exploitable, but better.

time will tell.
    In just a few short months (hopefully) we shall see how badly Blizz has screwed the whole thing up.

7. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Think positive :nod:

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    is my grammar bad? :( :D

9. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    To have blizzard requiring you to convert your character would be a monopoly. They're abusing their position to force you to buy the expansion set so you can play on Bnet.
    I doubt that's what they're going to do, I mean, if you didn't want to buy the expansion set then you should still be able to play with normal d2 characters on Bnet.

10. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jake, your grammar wasn't what I was referring to. I was reading and rereading the quote you provided us with.

and Chuck, I am positive that Blizz will screw it up, somehow :)

11. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    cow, I didn't say that they would force you to convert. I said they might force you to choose to convert or not once the expansion is installed on your system... like, they might not let you install the expansion and decide later on if you want to convert. It's either convert or not, no turning back either way. (just a possibility)

12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Once they've been converted to D2 expansion they can't be reverted, but they can be converted from D2 to D2 expansion any time, you will not be required at any specific time. There, that's what it's gonna be, I'm almost (99.9 recurring %) certain.

--Haite

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the problem? Everybody uses mules now, what is the difference if you make a "normal" mule and then convert it to the expansion? Do the items not also get converted? For example, will the clvl req that will be on the SOJ not show up on one carried by a mule that gets converted?

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    that is uncertain. Most likely they won't modify any items that are converted over. This will make old stones very valuable, for example.

15. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    All items that you are using that you couldn't be using with the clvl requirement remain the same until they are un-equipped. That is, if you are wearing a Stone at clvl 25, you can continue to wear it, but once it comes off your finger and back into your inventory it instantly "grows" the level 30 requirement.

--Haite

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    ah shiznit.

Sort of like hacking items in D1. You could use the trainer to equip stuff that your character can't handle, but the moment you take off the equipment you can no longer put it back on.

17. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    has this been confirmed yet?
    I have heard it from a couple people, but haven't read it anywhere. Do you have a link?

18. charlybrown

charlybrown Peasant

Market Rating:
    Acttually if you convert, no problem, but if you find in expansion, big problem. People will probably gamble stones in normal and convert them into expansion...

Uniques

Unique items all have Clvl requirements in the Expansion. We saw the following during Bill's demo. All were identical in appearance and magical properties to their Diablo II versions, other than the Clvl req. Blizzard said in the last Fansite Chat that converted uniques wouldn't have these requirements, but that newly found ones in the Expansion would. Given that these requirements are not low, this should force some pretty major changes in players who are accustomed to dumping a bunch of uniques on a low level character and leveling up madly.

Manald Heal - Unique ring, Clvl 15 required.
    The Stone of Jordan - Unique ring, Clvl 30 required.
    The Ward - Unique Gothic Shield, Clvl 32 required.

http://www.diabloii.net/features/london2001/london-pg4.shtml

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I'm sure Blizzard has anticipated this converting trick to get around expansion item reqs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they updated the original Diablo 2 to 1.07 or something and did some balancing on that side too.

Hitometer: 53,820,406 since 1995