Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

A question regarding cheating

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Onisama, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    rule #4 from the clan rules page.

Don't use cheats. Cheating takes away the fun in the game (trust me).

here's a question to see how far this extends.
    How do you feel about indirectly participating in cheating?

Some of the methods one could indirectly participate
    1) provide a person who claims to be able to dupe or hack items with an item to dupe or hack (but not do it yourself)
    2) trade for or aquire an item that has been created via cheating (i.e., the duped dual leech rings, high dam bows, etc.)
    3) steal items from other people via deceit, trickery or "item popping" (where you get their items to pop out of their corpse - some people deserve this though)

I'm just wondering where "we" (mainly Jake) draw the line at cheating. I personally don't plan on cheating, nor do I plan on tracking down and aquiring one of the widely duped items (which were created by cheating). Not trying to be judgemental or anything, honest. Don't be offended by my question if you have indeed done any of the abovementioned things.

2. Jaha

Jaha Peasant

Market Rating:
    i have been offered numerous high damage weapons that were dupes and i wont use them because its cheating and it really is silly. just to be able to go around and say hey look at me i have this super high damage weapon! o? what is that you say? you have the exact same one? how can that be? i traded my best items for this! a dupe? oh well who cares i have a god character so im gonna go run around in circles and kill things all day, bye.

bah dupes and cheats, slowly creepin back into diablo :(

3. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    1 & 2 strongly disagree with..

3 - most of the time i will grab the stuff so other people dont and return it, but if the guy is a jerk i just keep it

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    1) and 3) strongly disagree with, and I'll only touch other people's dropped items if they're at risk.

2) well I already have 2 skull grasps, and guess if I didn't have to I wouldn't have them, but I'll never get enough items to trade for a legitimate dual leech ring, they're just too expensive and I'm just too unlucky :(.

Oh, by the way, I've read (and tried) the remaining dupe method that works, and it isn't done in game, so if anyone tells you to give them items they're just spamming anyway ;).

--Haite

5. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
  6. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    A and C. C especially. I'd like to hunt down people who do C and do nasty things to them fourth dimensionally, like stick their feet up their ass, from the inside.

7. angus_prune

angus_prune Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    cheating is cheating ,simple

8. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    ahh, to be able to look at the world in such shades of black and white.

obviously, it isn't that simple. At least defining it isn't.
    For the record, I view all of the mentioned "indirect" methods as cheating, with the slight exception of "item popping" under certain circumstances (some people just deserve it).

9. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    To borrow a line from a Jack Ryan movie: "Not black and white, right and wrong!"

In this case it actually is that simple. There's no such thing as "indirect" cheating. Either you are or you aren't. If you are using an item that you know to be duped or hacked, then you are cheating, even if you didn't dupe it yourself. And if you give an item to someone with the intention of having the item duped, it is the same as doing it yourself. Cheating is about intent, not about who actually performs the mechanics of it.

That being said, there are worse problems in the world than cheating in Diablo II. To my knowledge I don't use duped or hacked items, I think it's a lot more fun to earn the items by playing the game by the rules. But hey, if duping is your thing, knock yourself out. You're not gonna bother me.

10. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    there are so many dupes on bnet it's impossible not to come accross them. Heck, I found that insane exec sword on the ground, traded it for a duped lance, then traded that lance for 24 stones. Both that lance and stones are all duped. I mean, when I say cheating I'm talking about using trainers with the explicit intent of cheating. Stuff like duped items doesn't really apply since they are soooooo prevalent.

11. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    um...yes to what jake said.

12. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    What the hell?

I used the term "indirect" cheating because I couldn't think up a more diplomatic and concise way of saying "indirectly participating in or profiting from an endeavor that could be considered cheating". You can argue semantics all you want, we ARE talking about the same damn thing. I was trying to be considerate of the members who have trafficed in "duped" goods, I wouldn't appreciate being called a cheater outright and wouldn't expect them to appreciate it either.

sigh

Ok, first sentence there comes across as really snide. I'm going to assume that you didn't mean it as such. Of course there are worse problems in the world. This is not the place to address those. It is the place to address questions regarding the definition of "cheating" as it pertains to the clan.

and lastly, since the whole of your message is directed at my previous comment I have to assume that your last two sentences are as well. Frankly, I am little insulted by the implication found in them.

I have not not ever will in short, cheat.
    This wasn't a post to determine grey areas for me to exploit.

I have had tons of opportunities to cheat. To learn how to dupe, to learn how to hack, to trade for duped items, to steal from people, to cheat people. I have turned them all down, and have taken a lot of shit for it in the process.

The post was originally for me to determine 2 things

1 if i was the only person who felt that actively trading for items that are widely known to have been generated via cheating (the dual leech rings, the high damage bows, etc.) was a bad thing, and against the rules of this clan.

2 If I was the only person who felt this way, then perhaps it was time for me to leave.

:mad:

13. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'll disagree with you a little here.

In the case of the Doom Grips, Skull Grasps, Carrion Songs - it is pretty damn obvious that these are indeed duped and you can avoid them.

stones and other uniques, true, you have no idea if they are duped or not.

14. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    i stopped trading for stuff with strangers, i'll either find it, imbue it or trade with someone i trust will have a "real" item. i dont want a dupe and i dont want an artificially created ├╝ber-item, i want something i can be proud to equip myself with because one way or another i earned it and it's truly mine.

cheating is for weenies that cant play the game on their own, they need a program or someone else to hold their hand

15. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    What about perfect skulls? :D

16. Onisama

Onisama Peasant

Market Rating:

:p

17. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    RE: What the hell?

Hmm, well, I am not the one who started this topic, or brought up the word "cheating". I thought we were having a rules discussion, not a flame war. My comments were NOT directed at any one person. I merely used a quote from Onisama's post to help me illustrate my point. And since my words were not meant as anything beyond exactly what they said, I offer no apologies to anyone who read too much into my previous post. This is a stupid topic to get all pissy about, which was more or less my one of my points.

To restate, hopefully clearly enough for those in the cheap seats to understand: My feelings are that the use of duped or hacked items is cheating. Who would I be cheating? Nobody but myself. Since my personal enjoyment would be ruined by such a practice, I don't do it. The development of my characters is independent of everyone else's, so what they do is their business. If anyone here or anywhere else gets pleasure out of using duped or hacked items, then they should feel free to do so, as far as I am concerned. And since the way I play the game in the end effects no one but me, I frankly don't give a rat's behind if anyone disagrees with my position and is offended by it.

18. Moose

Moose Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jalapeno Montery jack cheese was on sale at Darrenkamps. I bought a pound. Tasty stuff.

19. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Like a fungus, the cheese thread rears its head once again... Might I add something to the discussion?

Mmmmmm, cheeese! :D

20. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    Hey, I went to The Cracker Barrel yesturday and got 1.5lbs of Sharp Chedder(can't speeeel I thonk) mmmm cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*gasp....sputter*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.... *pant pant pant* :p

Hitometer: 53,576,861 since 1995