Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

60 Seconds Up Your Live: WHY SHOULD I SWITCH TO MACS?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ThinkingOfAMac, Jun 21, 2002.

1. ThinkingOfAMac

ThinkingOfAMac Peasant

Market Rating:
    I am buyin a new computer and other then telling me they look nice why should i switch from the so called "Best OS" to MAC?

2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    the main reason to buy a mac is for OS X. if you don't need or want OS X then there is no advantage to having a mac. both pcs and macs can do all the same stuff.

3. ThinkingOfAMac

ThinkingOfAMac Peasant

Market Rating:
    WEll Its Obvious PCS go faster by looking at the specs but why OS X ?

4. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    It's not necessarily obvioius. I'll admit right now flat out, that PC's can be faster (on the processor and system bus fronts), but you'd have to do pretty well for yourself to make a PC that can top the dual GHz G4. You'd need about a 1.8 GHz PC (or 2x 1 GHz if it was a dual proc machine) to have a rough comparison. System bus is where Macs really fall short. You can get up to the 533 MHz bus on the new Pentium 4's, whereas Macs still have the 133 MHz SDR bus. It's rumored that Apple's going to implement hypertransport (really fast new bus technology) in the G5 line expected at Macworld New York.

Mac OS X... I'm a bit bipartisan on it. Yes, to put it blunt, it does kick Windows' ass. It is UNIX, based on BSD, with a full CLI (which is well hidden by Apple's window manager, Quartz), naturally many of the implementations are superior to their Windows counterparts. OpenGL for example. The original *nix OpenGL libraries are far superior to what Bill Gates dishes out (my friend has shown me, using the same .ini file, that he can get as much as 20 FPS more under Debian linux 3.0/unstable running Quake 3 with the latest GL librares compiled). The reason I'm bipartisan is because you can download Darwin and have the whole OS right there (minus Apple's window manager, to which I prefer X Free anyway).

Try a Mac out at your local computer store demo area, see if you like it. If gaming's what you're into, what a lot of people would suggest is buying a Mac laptop of some form, and then building a PC just for gaming.

5. smack

smack Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    heh, if you spend $3,000(dual g4 1ghz price) on a pc it WILL be faster. Mac desktops are freaky expensive imo. I think they are easier to use but if you already know how to use a pc why bother? Only macs worth getting are portables imo, those are sweet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    shibby :nod:

i have an iBook and a pc i built for games.

7. Strader

Strader Peasant

Market Rating:
    If you think that Windows is the "Best OS" then you really need to try some other stuff. It's only the most popular. Although XP seems kinda nice. Still... OS X is superior.

Yep. That'll be my situation soon also.

It seems to me that Apple is slowly getting better when it comes being a viable hardcore gaming platform but they still have a year or so to go at this rate. In the meantime I'll play most of my stuff on my upcoming PC and then get a nice TiBook for everything else. Mac is much better for everything else IMHO.

8. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I would like to build my own computer, and that would be a PC. I just don't have the $ to get both a PC and a Mac.

9. PhatJB

PhatJB Peasant

Market Rating:
    OS X is just a bad ass look if you ask me, on top of other stuff

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    it definately is the best looking OS.... even more so once OS 10.2 comes out because of quartz extreme.

Hitometer: 53,596,481 since 1995