Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

500 DV SE and Quake?

Discussion in 'Mac' started by IbaneZ, Apr 29, 2001.

1. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    Jakeman - I posted a while ago about this problem. I Want to attend the next lan party in modesto with my 500 dv se. I would mostly be playing quake3 there but the other quakers will probably be running the newer versions. Anything above 1.17 on my imac runs damn skippy. Is this a problem that can be fixed..or... get back to me if u can. -- still wanna go a few on dm17?? --

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    its that 8MB of VRAM, it kills your framerates..

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    the limitation on the iMac I tested this on at CompUSA is that it only had 128MB of RAM which is barely getting by for the 1.27 point release. You're right, everyone runs 1.27 at the LANs. The next one is this next Fri and Sat (May 4-5).

Basically, you want 192MB to play most games today. 64MB of RAM is cheap right now. On the net you can get it for like $20 I think. At CompUSA it's $50. :rolleyes:

True, you won't be getting the frame rates that everyone else will, but you can still Quake effectively on an iMac. I would recommend running Q3 in no higher than 800x600 resolution. Heck, even 640 is an option. Unless you are sniping with the rail gun than resolution detail doesn't matter that much. You should come to the LAN.

btw, I replied to your previous posts and i tried ICQing you, but I guess it didn't go through or something.

4. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    You can never have too much ram. Cram it like me and get 512 megs :D

No more virtual memory!

5. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    I already have 256 megs of ram so i dont think that's the problem... I run it at 800x600 res and ALL of the graphics cranked down. Hmm.. i use the same settings on 1.27 that i did with the 1.17 version. Its not just skipping when there's a lot of people in the game or when there is a lot of stuff happening.. Its a constant skip thats there if the game is full or not. : ( hmm thanks for tryin.

6. Wulf

Wulf MSC Knight and Donator

Market Rating:
    okay... I had this problem at one time.... throw away your config... let it build a new one, and if that doesn't work... upgrade a clean install of quake all the way up without playing it before 1.27... Also is 1.27 the one where the console like thing pops up before the game loads?... I have that version and I hate it because it never works right... If I hit any buttons while its loading, it quits out... and if I try to use a mod or play a game it quits out... odd

7. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    I also have to run the "MacQuake Debug" instead of the other icon. The other icon quits on startup. Don't know if this is the prob or not.

8. Wulf

Market Rating:
    I dunno supposedly the "G3" version of Q3 is faster, but if it doesn't load right, well, then its slower... yeah, the debug made lots of people loose lots of FPS... so that would be what is happening... just keep working with "G3" untill it works because you will get much better FPS... you may want to post on the macintosh msg board at www.quake3world.com I know lots of people there... also I can talk to Zaphoid if need be.. :p yeah thats right I know some people too Auto...

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yeah, you have to run the Mac Quake 3 Debug application. The other one doesn't work. It never has.

10. Wulf

Market Rating:
    aww hell

11. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    I was at compUSA the other day and I asked "David"(wide curly hair guy, Kinda looks like PAT) guy bout my prob, he didn't know. Then I asked him what was better, Mac or PC, and he gave me a 30 sec arrgument on why mac was better than pc. He knows his Stuff, lol. Got a bit defensive too : ).

12. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Dave is one of our resident Mac sales people/mac evangelists. It's him and Jon who are the Mac peeps. Then there is me of course, but I'm in tech.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Some of the ID peeps just updated their .plans saying that the next point release (which will be beta next week) will have a nice frame rate boost for everyone. :)

14. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    cool cool, had to miss the last lan though. maybe next time if that update is good.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I'm not sure if I'm going to the next LAN. It's on June 16-17 i think. I have a house boating vacation I might be going on then. Otherwise I'll be doing inventory for CompUSA that weekend. Otherwise I'll be taking MCSE courses. I should know for certain fairly soon. I'll let you know. :)

16. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    ooooh!

House boating. Where you going? I normally go to Shuswap lake.

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Lake Shasta, Northern California.

18. IbaneZ

IbaneZ Peasant

Market Rating:
    ahhh dammit.. no way in hell im gunna go to next lan if ur not there, a lonley imac in a PC rulled werehouse... hahahaha.. heh dammit well mb the lan after that : )

Hitometer: 53,853,564 since 1995