Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

2 questions...

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by 0111000001100100, May 18, 2002.

1. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    first off, how do i get Toast to realize that i have a burner in 9.2? I use Toast 4.x and it says i have no burned b/c of the DiskBurner app. I tried removing the extentions for DiskBurner, and that didn't work...

Second question, how do i take a toast disk image and extract the files so i can actualy use them?
    thanx

2. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    What burner to do you have? Is it SCSI or firewire or IDE or other? Does Toast support that burner? Are you using the retail or did you get an OEM version with your burner? Need much more info to try and answer this question.

Mount the image and then copy the files from the mounted image volume onto your hard drive volume. Toast has a Mount Image menu item. Shrinkwrap will also mount images.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Toast and iTunes burning extensions conflict. do you have iTunes installed?

4. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    I have a qps que firewirew burner. toast came w/ my burner, and i used to use toast untill i upgraded to 9.1. I do have itunes installed, if i disable the itunes extentions will it work then, but then itunes wont work...right?

Second, i still useing toast 4.x, that has no Mount Image menue item, and copying isn't working for me...I R Confused :banghead: :confused:

5. dapork

dapork Peasant

Market Rating:
    i don't like burnt toast

6. Spike

Spike Banned

Market Rating:
    If you disable the iTunes as well as the OS 9 Disk Burning extensions, that will most likely get it to work. iTunes will work fine, but not be able to burn CDs (mp3's). Put the extensions back in when you want to burn from itunes.

Arg, booted up classic to help with this one :(. I loaded Toast Deluxe 4.1.2 and in the Utilities menu, the very top item is Mount Disk Image.... Then select the image file.

7. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ahhh there in lies the problem, i only have regular toast 4.1.2, not the Deluxe ver. under my Utilities menue, i have no Mount Disk Image... only Compair Check Aliases. But thanx for your help, is there a free ver of shrinkwrap?

Last edited: May 20, 2002
  8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  9. Mentosman24

Mentosman24 Peasant

Market Rating:
    Spend that money...that's just what they want you to do...HA HA!!!

10. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    well i figured out the first problem, you not only have to remove iTunes and disk burner ext., you must remove the authoring support, and firewire authoring support. i tried by just removing iTunes and disk burner with no sucess, then i removed Authoring support and firewire authoring support at the same time as well as iTunes and disk burner, and it worked...so one of the 2 may not have to be removed but i was to lazy to restart avter i only removed one extention...

The second problem, i got a trial of shrink wrap and it wont let me open the file, it gives me some crazy error about PC exchange...bah oah well:(

11. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    My Longest Post Ever

BEWARE: screwing with DiscBurner may be fatal.

I got toast to work by removing the files listed above, but about a week or so later things went wrong...horiably horriably worng. Neither of the burning proggies (toast,DiscBurner) worked. i tried reinstalling DiscBurner, and toast(seaprately) to no avail. then i tired reinstalling iTunes out of despair, but that didn't work. Next i tried to update my os to 9.2.2, and that just waisted my time. Finally i whiped out my restore disc, and reverted to 9.0.4(1st mistake), using the save my files option(only reinstall the sys files) Oahhhh boy...never do that again. I went through the whole Ghey setup thingie, with jeff goldblume, and the "fleet of iMacs", finished that and then it died, completely. First it couldn't find my HD, it would boing and sit at a gray screen. then magically like 5 times later it foud the HD, but then it couldn't find teh CD drive...i couldn't boot from cd, it would start up until the time of day got displayed(before any icons), then lock up. By now i was pissed, so i unplugged it(2nd mistake), from the constand starting up and doing nothing, the cpu was overheated, and wouldn't start up if my life depended on it. After a half hour of cool down time, thr cd drive now worked, and i put in the trusty software install disc(after my restore disc screwed me) and installed 9.0. I was having the same problm as before(lock up at time-o-day) so i booted from cd and disabled most of my extensions, and that finally did it, it booted, my theory was that9.04 was too far back for it, but i had not boot cd with 9.1(aaarg only update cd). And so in the end, My F***ing cd burner still doesn't work, all that work in vein...Holy Shit. I'm Now upto 9.1, and i removed the DiscBurner Extensions once again, only to find out that they some how got copyed back into my EXT. Folder, leaving me with 2 copys of Of iTunes, DiscBurner, Authoring Support and some various other EXT. But the strangest part is, is that iTunes Recgonizes my burner, but complaind about not having software installed. Screw it, i'll just use my laptop(witch remains untouched by my corruptive hands)
    P.S. any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2002
  12. Haite

Haite Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    Re: My Longest Post Ever

OS X ;).

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    yikes. well, as far as the problem goes... software (discburner) shouldn't be able to kill hardware like that. you say the CPU is overheating? if it is that could cause all sorts of problems. what kind of computer is it?

and you should use OS X :nya:

14. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    i have an iMac DV SE...no fans lol, and i just discoverd a wealth of related problems on apples disscussion forums, the say that my firewire ports may be "burned out" and i may require a new logic board...i better not! i still have some other options to try out, the reset-all command in the open firmware thingie, and zap the pram, and beat the Sh*t out of it. i do use os X, on my laptop...i pheer my old imac cant handle it and i need to buy mass upgrades tor all my software, money i dont have...yet.

15. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    you may need to take it to a service center. the problem could be anything at this point.

16. 0111000001100100

0111000001100100 Peasant

Market Rating:
    i tried just about everythingh i know, but totally reformat. I reset the PMU, zaped the pram, tried the reset-all in the open firmware, unplugged it for like 8 hours, took out the internal battery, punched it a few times...i guess i gonna have to break down and take it to a service center, or talk my mom into a new computer ::): thanx for your suggestions, but i dont think OS X will fix my broken firewire ports...i think what started it all was using my laptop in firewire HD mode but i didn't plug it into the wall, and it may have drawn power right from the Firewire, not the battery, and overloaded it like many ForMac CD burners do(that's the main FW proplem on apples forums).

17. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    blah blah blah

USE PARAGRAPHS

blah blah blah

Wow, I just glanced over all three of your posts without reading them.

18. Baseera

Baseera MSC Footman

Market Rating:
    Aaaarrrrgg!! I know your pain. I used to have a Sony Supressa CD-RW drive that ran on a USB port. The software that came with it intalled an extension that made my computer crash every time. I disabled that one icon and it all went away. Then I gave my burner away.....

My iMac is also a DV/SE 400. I never had any problems with the firewire, once I got it to recognize my iPod that is....

Other problems abounded, especially with the monitor.

I did switch to OS X and have had no problems with it. :)

Oh yeah...having no fans in your computer is a cool [ha ha] idea but not if you live in a hot climate....I came home once and could smell the insulation on my computer baking away. :( Now I have a fan blowing on it in the summer.

19. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    my pc acts funny if the weather is really hot. my g4 tower was always fine though, so is my iBook so far.

Hitometer: 53,932,137 since 1995