Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

2 MB of VRAM

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lars, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just saw a deal on PowerMax - a 2MB VRAM upgrade for older ATI cards for $10. If I got it, I would have 6 MB of VRAM. Would the card actually improve with gaming, graphics, and stuff, or would the difference be so little that it wouldn't be worth it? :confused:

2. cowofwar

cowofwar Peasant

Market Rating:
    Um...Go buy a Radeon.

6megs of VRAM is still too little to play any games, or use any graphics intensive programs.

3. gekko

gekko Peasant

Market Rating:
    Ya, i wouldn't spend the money on that. The Radeon is a good card to upgrade to, from what i've seen. Or wait and just upgrade to the $600 GeForce3.

But 6MB of VRAM isn't a lot, but then again, you're only paying $10.

4. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, only $10. That's why I plan to. See, my computer is old and isn't worth putting big bucks into so a Radeon isn't an option. I love 4x4 EVO and if I only had 6 MB of VRAM, (which is what it requires) some textures would look better, and would run smoothers. You see, I only want the upgrade for 4x4 EVO, not any other game.

5. Vokbain

Vokbain Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Ya, my friend has 6 megs on his ATI card in his Revision A iMac, and that changed the graphics alot. Get the upgrade, its worth it.

6. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    Even with the PCI Radeon, I think it requires OS 8.6 or something. And going to anything above 8.0 or 8.1 I don't think is recommended for Mac clones. Wait, do you have a Mac clone? I think I remember that.

hmmm, Mac clones. One thing is for sure, they are among the more expandable Macs out there. I've seen Mac clones with like 8 168pin DIMM RAM slots and 7 PCI slots. Of course, the down side is that there's no support for them from Apple or the original clone companies.

Clones' licensing was ended right when OS 8 came out. That's why it isn't recommended going above that because clones weren't designed to run above that. If you have any problems because of it then it will be near impossible to find support.

...hehe, now I'm rambling. :rolleyes:

7. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well, unless you have one of those PowerComputing clones... Apple has the data sheets on its ftp site.

8. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yeah, I own a PowerComputing clone.

9. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    That's a tough one. I would probably recommend an ATI Rage Orion or a Nexus. They're both PCI and should work very well in your system. The Orion has 16MB and the Nexus has 32MB, but I hear the Orion has faster RAM and is better for games.

10. Keeksy

Keeksy Peasant

Market Rating:
    The first iMac was the only one to include an expansion slot. Some company made a Voodoo2 board for it, but they went bankrupt along time ago. revB and later models will require you to take apart your machine in order to get to your video board and switch it out . Remember, any model slower than 350MHz uses PCI graphics. Make sure you get the right card. I don't even know if an Orion/Radeon would fit in your machine. :(

11. Lars

Lars Peasant

Market Rating:
    Don't worry - my machine is huge.

Hitometer: 53,579,015 since 1995