Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

1.11 Mage Changes

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Lurk, May 4, 2006.

1. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    It is from the new mage quest. (I've been playing on the test server while the Tuesday maintenance is going on. :D )

2. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    for the fankriss tunnel we always have the AEers come in last. the warriors rush in and demo/whirlwind to annoy a few bugs and then the raid focuses on the big blue one. mages still die of course, but it's always the same guy because he's a dummy and neglects his stamina.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Honestly, I can't tell if it's a nerf or not. It only ended up in that build because once I got to 17/30/3, I had an extra point so I figured why not?

By the way, it's not 1 crit per minute, the mechanics of it are such that you are guaranteed to have gotten your three crits by the 12th fire cast, at which time you'll go back to your normal crit rate. Could potentially stack well with Imp Scorch, but what I don't like about it is the random factor.

4. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    After briefly trying both deep fire and deep frost (both with arcane support) on a premade on the test server, I think I will be going deep frost. My own personal play style really likes the AOE, control, and survivability of the new frost tree.

On the other hand, deep fire freakin brings the pain... face melting single target dps out the ass. If a deep fire player could stand to go elementalist, then they could have the same wicked AOE of frost (frost nova shatter + anything)... but it would probably be of less utility without the survivability of frost.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Yea they really improved on the frost mage even though fire still got a small piece of the pie. Notice that Ice barrier CD has been reduced to only 30 sec yet lasts a min (I wouldn't be too surprise if they allow it to stack but that's still unknown atm). Elementalist build would probably be heavy on frost since the frost talents works better with more than 20+ points in the tree. With Evoc being a skill and Arc Explosion being instant by default, there's not much to the Arcane tree besides Imp CS, clear casting, and PoM if you don't want to heavily invest in Arcane. I was hoping that they would give mages a new Arcane spell (where Evoc use to be like they did with fire).

6. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    :nod: :evil:

Something like this 0/30/21 perhaps? It has all the pain of deep fire, but I skipped Imp Scorch in favor of Imp Fireblast for use with Shatter. Also ignored Pyro (no PoM) and Blastwave (Frost used for control instead of BW daze effect).

Frost talents are Imp Frostbolt and Permafrost for a 1-second-cast long duration snare with Rank 1 Frostbolt. Imp Frost Nova and Shatter for obvious reasons, and the Cold Snap/Iceblock panic button. 1 point in Frost Warding was a throwaway point to unlock Shatter. 3 points in Elemental Precision could be moved elsewhere if desired (Piercing Ice or Imp Blizzard maybe), but are okay where they are, too.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    On the other hand, Blastwave could be quite useful as an AoE Shatter.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?kZxgRzbcuxqhMho0t

Pyro would be relegated to an opening spell only without PoM, but that's not the worst thing in the world.

Decisions, decisions...

8. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I was finally able to copy my actual character to the test realm. My actual character has double the armor of the premade and 600 more life. Testing deep frost once again, my survivability is insane.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Two possible final builds. Both builds center around the same frost core. The first one has mana talents, the second one has crit and armor.

endurance - http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?kf0E00cZZVAMc0ftho

tanking and power - http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?Rf0x0oZZiAMc0ftAo

With the new itemization, my mana in 1.11 (without arcane mind) is almost the same as in 1.10 (with). I don't have meditation in 1.10 and I am still able to make my mana last when using frost with mage armor, so I am leaning towards "tanking and power" which is more characteristic of me. My endurance with arcane explosion will be hurt without concentration to assist, but it shouldn't be too bad... on that note, perhaps a hybrid of the two?

tanking and some endurance - http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?of0E0oZZiAMc0ftho

10. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I actually found a use for 6 second pyro... the casting time can be used to fill the void of time while waiting for sunders on raid mobs like molton giants. By the time the spell casts, the sunders are up and you have a nice big opening bomb.

11. dcwilson26

dcwilson26 MSC Knight

Market Rating:
    I better not miss then...

12. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Interesting. See it's just this kind of "thinking outside the box" that more mages need, instead of whining about how gimped the class is (which it's not.)

This is hardly original, but if I take Improved Scorch I will probably use "sunder time" to spam Rank 1 Scorch for the debuff. Shouldn't do enough damage to draw aggro, and there will be a nice fat 15% vulnerability there for your incoming Pyroblast. :D

(I'd better warn Foxy if I attempt this in HGA raids though, she'll freak if she sees Scorches landing before the sunders are up.)

13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Yeah as Elb said, "Polymorph: Pig" is the reward for the new level 60 mage quest mentioned in the patch notes. For a while we'll all be doing pigs, so I don't know how easy it will be to tell them apart. Although I read the colors of the pig can vary from cast to cast, is this true Elb?

"Polymorph: Turtle" is around somewhere too, although not from the Azshara mage quest. Probably a drop from somewhere.

I want "Polymorph: Hogger."

14. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Pryo's cooldown was removed. I did not know this.

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Hmm...have you thought about Imp Flamestrike with that? 50% crit from Shatter + 15% from Imp Flamestrike. So maybe Nova followed by Flamestrike + BW = double ignite proc...mmmmm (good for most creeps outside 40-man instances).

Interesting. I didn't even notice that. Perhaps maybe I can keep spamming Pyro instead of Fireball now (only 50 mana difference but longer DoT and 100 more dmg along with longer cast time could keep aggro at a min.).

16. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    currently on test - with combustion active each target hit with blastwave adds 10% crit.

17. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Oh jesus I just realized something...

Full Netherwind with "no cooldown" Pryoblast. You could cast instant Pyro on every Netherwind proc.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Indeed. :nod:

Now just recruit 30 or so raid ready players and we'll start running BWL.

19. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I'd rather use fireball for NW procs since you can proc off the proc lol. Sometimes I get 3 procs in a row and NW only procs off of Fireball, Frostbolt and Missles so best to use those when it procs and hope for the proc to continue.

Hitometer: 53,597,496 since 1995