Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

1.11 Mage Changes

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Lurk, May 4, 2006.

1. Autolycus

Autolycus Forum Moderator

Market Rating:
    never

2. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    This version of 21/30/0 is where I'm leaning right now. I'll have mana issues with this build, but I'm used to that.

Master of Elements is intriguing, but the new Imp Scorch is just too good to pass up.

If I want to tweak it for better mana regen, I could take 1 point from Arcane Focus and skip Magic Attunement to get Arcane Meditation.

3. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
  4. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    You and your Arcane Resilience. Jaden the tanking mage. :D Of course that's why I let you take all the hits when we're coop AoEing.

Winter's Chill was going to be 2% debuff stackable up to 5 times, now it's 1% stackable up to 10 times. Same end result, just takes longer to get there. That seems like a nerf to me for a 6th row talent, since you'd only get the full debuff on for long boss fights. Then again that's probably exactly what it was designed for, a way to slowly increase damage without drawing aggro.

Point being, you're right you can probably pass on it and hope other mages take it. As for myself, it's fire all the way so don't count on my help with WC.

Won't you miss Arcane Power?

5. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Since I got ToEP tonight, I guess I won't be missing AP that much. On that note, I am now thinking of applying that ToEP to a deep fire build for huge dps.

I hate this patch... I can't decide on a build.

6. harleyb

harleyb Peasant

Market Rating:
    10-15% of total population means 10-15% of any divided population as well. assuming mage participation in raids is proportional, then 10-15% of mages have killed Nefarian.

7. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Assuming raid makeup is proportional to the entire population, then yes, you are correct.

Good catch. :D

8. MisterHalleck

MisterHalleck Peasant

Market Rating:
    During a HGA raid? Good job dude!

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    You do realize that 50% Int is only about 175 AC. And I really don't think the mages should be tanking in AoE situation anyways. Usually the warlocks starts the AoE since they have more hp and mages just help out. Also there's a limit on debuffs on bosses. It's preferrable that mages not have their debuff on bosses except for Ignite since other class's debuffs are more important (and applying a mage debuff will knock off another class debuff). I get really piss sometimes when my pyro crit and I don't get the ignite debuff because the limit's already been reached. Also note that the majority of mobs in the 40 man instances are immune to slow effects (probably why frost mages are preferred since debuff isn't possible).

Resistance isn't all that necessary (almost neglible) for mages. My resistance are all in the 50s or below and I usually survive all fights unless we wipe or close to a wipe. Only time you'll need Fire resist is on Rag since he has AoE fire damage that can hit anywhere and might knock you into the lava. Even in BWL and AQ, resistance isn't important for mages (except for Viscidus). I found I wasted a lot of time gathering resist gear that I don't even use and end up DE'ing (although I might do it again for Naxxramus just to be safe lol).

10. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i disagree, mage's AE is instant whereas warlock's is channeled. having them tank wouldn't do anything besides interrupting their spell.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Well it's a lose/lose situation in either case. Have a mage with 4.5k hp start off and probably die or have a lock with 6k start and be interrupted. My guild decided on sacrificing the lock since they can't move so that healers can concentrate on them without them going out of range whereas when a mage gets low, he/she would panic, blink, and be out of healing range. Also I think warlock have more AC than mages do (haven't tried that tanking mage concept yet but I'd rather not sacrifice dmg for armor). So my guild's concept is if a lock dies, he dies but keep the mage around more utility be it AoE or decursing.

Oh and grats on that ToEP Jake.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    I just re-checked your build. Why no Cold Snap? Oh and I had almost the same build with Meditation once. It took 15 minutes before I even use Evocation during a 16 minute fight. So mana efficient.

13. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Reduced mana downtime is one of the goals of those builds.

As for cold snap... I figure I won't need ice block more than once every 5 minutes (ice block being the main use of cold snap). I might learn otherwise after using this build... while my first planned mage build was deep frost, I have never actually played more than 20 points into it.

14. Autolycus

Market Rating:
    i think maybe you should have a talk with your warlocks, healers, or mages about that one. that shouldnt be happening. what are the AE situations where you need to do this?

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Playing with a 28/23/0 Imp. Scorch / crit build. Just messing around.

16. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    17/31/3

Intriguing. Several possible variations of this. J posted one very similar to this before, the more I look at it the more I go, "hmmmm."

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Mainly I'm referring to the tunnel run to Fankriss and partially the whelp groups during that little exodus to Broodlord (not so much with the whelps since mages only Frost Nova and warlocks take over). However that run to Fankriss is a pain since those things are on a 10 second?? timer and if a mage starts off, he/she will have 20+ bugs hitting for 300-400 each. So we let a warlock start it off mostly and heal the lock with mages helping out. I don't know how many times I've died running through there and being the first to AE.

18. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Combustion got a nerf IMO. Currently it's 100% crit with 5 min CD. Although the new one is on a 3 min CD, the 3 charge thing isn't too hot (1 crit every min??) and the 10% is ok but could be higher for a tier 7 talent. I think it would be nice (and worthy) if they change it so that combustion works like Arcane Power (maybe restrict it to 8 sec?) with every fire spell having a 100% crit chance (even 75% would work). So within that short 8 sec. all fire spells have a really high crit rate but it evens out since the major ones takes 3 seconds to cast (so really you can only get off 6 spells if you 5 x scorch + fire blast; 4 spells if you scorch + 2 x fireball + fireblast; 3 spells for pyro + scorch + fireblast).

19. Elbereth

Elbereth MSC Commander and Donator

Market Rating:
    I like the polymorph pig - now we will be able to tell the polymorphs apart easier.

20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    what the... I hadn't heard of that.

hmm it would be cool if they let you choose between a ton of different animals. I want polymorph kodo. :D

Hitometer: 53,558,072 since 1995