Portal   Forum   Members   Market   Gallery   Events

1.11 Mage Changes

Discussion in 'MSC Clan' started by Lurk, May 4, 2006.

1. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Jakeman likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman MSC Founder and Donator

Market Rating:
    I reported that bug a year ago... they said it was working as intended.

I don't see any huge changes... mostly reshuffling and the combining of some old talents into new ones. I really need to see the tree with all of the dependancies before I can say much more.

3. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Agreed, but then I never felt we needed huge changes anyway. Some of the changes make me go "meh," (Magic Attunement, Arcane Resilience) others I think are nice tweaks (Arcane Explosion, Burning Soul, Imp Fire Blast).

You should see the bitchin' on the WoW mage forums though, apparently they all wanted to be invincible.

I do like that 9 talent points have been freed up. Overall I think we'll be more flexible.

4. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    Ice Barrier is now 30 second cooldown and lasts 1 minute oic

5. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    And Shatter affects all schools, not just Frost. Also Permafrost has an increased slow effect (combined with old Winter's Chill). Intriguing...

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  6. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I just saw the shatter thing... nerf mages

7. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  8. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:

Trying to come up with a new build. Wow this is hard. I'll have to play around a bit.

9. Jakeman

Market Rating:
  10. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I know but I want to try some of the new stuff. I may go elementalist, or at least dabble in frost. Having increased slow and duration in one Tier 1 talent is very appealing, as is Improved Frost Nova being in Tier 1.

If I stick with something similar to my current build, it will look like this: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?kA0gzrzZxgrobchx

(If I decide it's worth it to give up Blast Wave for Master of Elements)

Possible elementalist build: http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?RZxxrcbMuxdhfzhVo

By the way, the only major irritation I have with the talent review is that CS still has to be talented to get the silence effect, meaning a frigging warlock pet still gets free what I have to spend 17 points for.

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
    Getting Shatter mean you can't (shouldn't) get Improved Blizzard because the pre-req for Shatter is Frostbite and Imp Blizzard has a chill effect which will cause Shatter procs on random mobs. This makes it so that the mobs don't stay together in a group but will scatter dued to random procs.

I think Blizzard's just trying to induce more Elementalist builds. Arcane Resilience, give me a break. 200 extra armor will really help me. Obviously Blizzard devs don't play WoW. I really hope this "review" is a joke.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Peasant

Market Rating:
  13. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    O rly? Why don't you enlighten me oh great One?

1. It's not a Frost build.

2. It's fine.

3. Lrn2play.

14. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    Maybe you should give them a call and help them out. You seem to know the game better than anyone, I'm sure your advice would be welcomed.

Better yet, post in the WoW mage forums or suggestion forums. I have no doubt with your wisdom and insight you'll post something they've never thought of or read before.

15. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  16. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    I haven't been able to create an elemental build that I like. 31 arc / 20 frost is tempting, but that was my old build that I replaced with 31 arc / 20 fire. I have since come to like fire better. Both fire and ice are improved, so I keep coming back to an arc / fire build.

I am also very used to having a full arcane tree. That is not to say that 31 arcane is a bad choice.

17. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I think 31 arcane is a perfectly fine choice. I had it for a while but it was too cooldown dependent for my playstyle. Still, even slightly nerfed, AP is good for a quick burndown.

Elementalist builds are at least worth looking at now. I kinda like the 0/31/20 build I have above, except on second glance I'd probably drop Flame Throwing for Burning Soul, and just use Frost to compensate for the decreased range. Also would drop Pyroblast and put 1 in Imp. Fire Blast, since no PoM means Pyroblast loses a lot of it's utility. Would be nice to find a way to get 3 into Arcane Subtlety but you can't have everything.

That said, I'm very set in my PoM & ICS ways, it would be hard to adjust to not having them.

18. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
    I can get 3 into AS if I drop Combustion and settle for 3/5 in Shatter. Would still get plenty of Shatter procs. The jury is still out on the new Combustion anyway.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?RhZxtMcbcuxihf00c

19. Lurk

Lurk Peasant and Donator

Market Rating:
  20. Jakeman

Market Rating:
    IMO, many mages are having delusions of grandeur about new elementalist AOE builds as they apply to soloing. This doesn't apply to group situations where you have healing and agro support.

Elementalist AOE is "close in" action. Very few mages AOE within melee range. The fact that no one likes Arcane Resilience or Frost Warding suggests that they don't appreciate survivability in those kinds of AOE situations. Good luck farming like that without more survivability.

I believe the frost nova crit setup is overrated. You should expect frost nova to break upon first damage, yet many mages are envisioning a godly multi-crit setup with flamestrike, blastwave, cone of cold, and arcane explosion all in one. Sorry, the frost nova will probably be gone after the first hit, and definitely after the second. You should count on it as a single crit setup, and even then it does not guarantee a crit.

Taking into consideration these 2 concerns, I think most mages will have a hard time surviving one of these AOE attempts. Without enough survivability or fast enough damage, your ass will get zerged. That is why I prefer big life, armor, and arcane power for the zerging AOE style. Without these things you are probably better off with a blizzard farming build.

Hitometer: 53,845,584 since 1995